Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Bluediamond118

General :
Should WS ‘recognise’ themselves?

Panopticon72 (original poster member #85106) posted at 11:44 AM on Wednesday, September 25th, 2024

My WS and I were talking the other day, and I said how the A still seemed surreal, even though my logical brain has now accepted that it happened. The infidelity happened in January and seems to have been a one-off, one-time (planned) random meet up. (I still use the word ‘seems’).

My WS agreed and, after apologising for his actions again, said that he, too, felt the same, like his actions were from another world. He found it hard to recognise himself now in his actions and behaviour during his infidelity.

This was very comforting in some ways (he can see that the behaviour was utterly unjustified, etc., and his actions do not match the person he thought he was and now wants to be). Effectively, he could understand the horror of his actions from a third-person perspective now the bubble has burst.

However, I then wondered if this means he has separated himself from his own actions. In the past, he has acknowledged the need for a total overhaul of his coping skills and treatment of the family/me, but I wonder if he is making too much of a division between himself now and then.

Do you think this is a good way of him thinking or one tinged with denial?

posts: 61   ·   registered: Aug. 20th, 2024   ·   location: England
id 8849484

Abcd89 ( member #82960) posted at 12:30 PM on Wednesday, September 25th, 2024

Sorry I don’t know your story. A one off, one-time planned meet up with a stranger? So via a dating or hook up site? Or was it an acquaintance?

If so there were so many steps he had to go through to get to the point of having sex with that person. And he got caught first time? Are you sure you know the full truth?

My husband once said ‘it wasn’t me’ or some such nonsense. I said it was you, you chose this. You made decision after decision.

So no I don’t think it’s helpful. And any hint at ‘it wasn’t me’ was stopped. ‘Yes it was you’.

In your case - It was him and it wasn’t very long ago. He’s suggesting he was a good husband until one day in Jan 24 and then he became someone else for a day, then returned to being a good husband. I’m not convinced you know everything. I hope you do but to go from great partner to a hook up site one day in Jan? But sorry op but no I don’t think this is helpful.

id 8849486

Panopticon72 (original poster member #85106) posted at 12:39 PM on Wednesday, September 25th, 2024

It was a process of about three months: using dating sites, almost meeting other people, and then spending about 6 weeks planning a hook up on a married-person’s hook-up site (because, hey, everyone is into ‘polyamory’ these days).

This is as much as I know for sure. It fits all the evidence, but I am prepared to find more.

You are right: all of those steps. That’s actually the hardest thing to bear: so many chances to not go further and so many weeks being deceptive and nasty to me.

It all sucks.

posts: 61   ·   registered: Aug. 20th, 2024   ·   location: England
id 8849487

Groot1988 ( member #84337) posted at 10:49 PM on Wednesday, September 25th, 2024

My H also originally said he didn’t recognize the man he was as when he did what he did. He basically said he was two different people because he put his "real life" in a box on the shelf when he was with her but I remind him all the time it was still him. He gets very upset when he thinks about what he did and I know it is hard for him to face himself in the mirror almost every day.

Him facing himself took time , a lot of time , it has almost been a year and he is still working on it but he’s almost there.
I will say that it was hard for him to stomach what HE did to his family so it was easier for him to say "that version of him" did that.
He is starting to see that both of those men are/ were him.
There’s been times he has dry heaved thinking about it , it is very important that a cheater realizes there wasn’t some force that took them over but instead a million little things that lead up to it, boundaries being broken, lack of self respect , respect in general , etc.

I know when he started to dissect the man he is he was disgusted and that is what started his true changing vs the mask and deflection

Trust me I get it though looking back we both can’t believe it happened it’s like watching a horrible movie when I look back but it did happen and we are both aware of why it did and what needs to change so it doesn’t ever happen again.

Married 5 years (together 11) Four children Me Bs 36Him WH 35- 4 month PA Dday Oct 6- lots of TT final disclosure Jan 16.

"If we walk through hell we might as well hold hands, we should make this a home"- citizen soldier

posts: 425   ·   registered: Jan. 6th, 2024   ·   location: Darker side of gray
id 8849554

Chaos ( member #61031) posted at 12:29 AM on Thursday, September 26th, 2024

That is the cognitive dissonance. The compartmentalization.

The true metamorphosis comes with when they look in the mirror and realize they WERE the person and they did DO this. And start owning that lock, stock and barrel.

BS-me/WH-4.5yrLTA Married 2+ decades - 2 adult children. Multiple DDays w/same AP until I told OBS 2018 Cease & Desist sent spring 2021 "Hello–My name is Chaos–You f***ed my husband-Prepare to Die!"

posts: 3857   ·   registered: Oct. 13th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8849565

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 4:46 PM on Thursday, September 26th, 2024

** Not posting as staff **

Brilliant, Chaos. Immortalized in the Quotes thread in Fun & Games.

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30271   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8849623
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20241001a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy