Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Bluediamond118

Reconciliation :
Our anniversary

Topic is Sleeping.

HFSSC (original poster member #33338) posted at 8:22 PM on Wednesday, December 14th, 2022

We've been married 26 years today. 11 years since our vow renewal, when our life together truly began.

I was looking at pictures today. I have a picture of the day we met. JM's sister and I shared a babysitter. Her DD is about 6 months younger than my older DS. It was my (now) niece's birthday party. (now) SIL had been trying to introduce me to her brother. But he was/is 7 1/2 years younger than me. He had just turned 22. I was pushing 30 and had a child. I couldn't imagine us having anything in common. But he took a weekend pass from his USMC assignment to come home for his niece's birthday party. And he was so attentive to her. That got my attention. His sister had us both over for dinner 2 weeks later and that was all she wrote, lol.

We've been through some horrible times, some self-inflicted and some that were beyond our control. My addiction caused much damage. His PTSD and selfishness caused damage as well. Neither of us had any boundaries, and that caused the most damage of all. We both had EAs and online/sexting As. We rugswept so hard Stanley Steemer should've used us in commercials. So of course, it all led up to December 2010, the beginning of our Annus Horribilus.

I shared in General about my childhood and FOO stuff. I am grateful that I found sobriety and was on my way to emotional health before 2011 happened. I'd built almost 3 years of sobriety and had a strong relationship with my IC. I was strong enough to draw my line in the sand, finally. But I still hadn't found SI.

He left and moved into an apartment shortly after DDay 1. After about 6 months he was tired of that "wild single life" he'd wanted so bad. He begged, literally begged on his knees to come home. I said yes and we had what I called his amnesty conversation. I told him I needed to know all of the truth. There was nothing he could tell me at that time that would make me change my mind. Well, most of you know how THAT turned out. Within 2 months, everything finally exploded as the truth of his A came out. It was a hundred times worse than the worst thing I'd imagined. I was DONE. So done. He threatened suicide and got himself a week's stay at the Psychiatric Hilton. I refused to let him come home. Packed up his crap and moved it to the garage. There was a day or so when he was going to be driven to a men's homeless shelter at discharge because his parents initially refused for him to stay there.

That was also when I found SI.

And this is where I want to say that there is hope, even in what seems to be the worst infidelity story. Serial cheating, mad hatters, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, PTSD. We shouldn't have made it. But the day he was released from the nuthouse, JM began his quest for spiritual, mental and emotional health. He figured out on his own how to make an IC appointment and keep it. He did things to help me even when I didn't ask him or thank him. (Things like yard work, car maintenance, etc). I had taken the album of our wedding pictures and torn it apart, throwing all of the pages into our front yard. I'll never forget seeing him with a trash bag out front, picking all the ruined photos up, looking at each one before throwing it away. (Part of me was gleeful that I could see pain on his face). My faith is profoundly important to me and had been one of the issues that pulled us apart, because he didn't want any part of it. But during our final S, he started going to church to try to figure it all out. He didn't come to the church our boys and I attended. I had no idea he was going anywhere.

Then he showed up one Sunday when the praise team (which DS and I were part of) had a music service. And he came forward at the invitation (which is a big thing, especially in Southern Baptist churches). I'd seen fake emotional responses before. He'd done a few of them. But there was no mistaking on that day. He was different. He even seemed physically different somehow. It still took me a couple of months after that before I let him move back in and we renewed our vows. He was willing to do whatever I required, and came up with some things on his own. We started MC together then.

There was still one more bump in the road for us, about 6 months after our vow renewal. I discovered he'd broken NC several times. I was devastated and furious. I'd said broken NC would be a deal breaker, but when it happened, I didn't want to be done. I felt so pathetic.

Here's where I want to share hope again. A very dear lady from SI (PainPainGoAway, for the old timers) drove over an hour to take me out to lunch. She let me cry and vent and rant and she just hugged me and told me I'd be okay no matter what path I chose. I needed that so badly. I decided to give him another chance. He joined SI and posted on the Wayward forum. He asked for advice and listened. AuthenticNow, FloridaRedMan, Fallen, Aubrie.. they will never know what a difference they made for us.

I cannot believe the life that we have now. We still have struggles. His PTSD, both of our bodies are falling apart, lol. But we are in it all together. We love each other, respect each other, appreciate each other.

If you are new at this and struggling to find hope, we are proof that R can happen, even in the worst situations. Please don't misunderstand me. R does not always happen, nor should it. If both partners are not all-in, you're not in R. You're in false R or limbo at best, and that shit will kill you.

To increase the odds of success:

First of all, know your worth. And settle for nothing less. In the wake of betrayal, our self esteem takes a monumental hit. It is so important to find yourself, get your emotional balance, and realize you don't have to stay in that place.

Second, and this flows from #1, don't do the Pick Me dance. It sucks. It's not fun, nor is it ever effective in establishing a healthy R.

Third, don't rugsweep. This is the time to hold everything under scrutiny. Every time you allow a conversation to be squashed because the WS doesn't want to talk, or thinks you've had long enough to heal, or thinks s/he is protecting you, or whatever other bullshit reason they give, you are teaching them what you will accept. Eventually so much time has gone by that you just resign yourself to never having those conversations. And that is your ticket to The Next Time. And there will always be a Next Time if you don't deal with This Time.

Fourth, establish your boundaries and dealbreakers, but allow yourself room to change your mind. I know for both JM and myself change did not come immediately nor easily. It took me almost a year into sobriety before I quit lying. Because of that, I knew that there were some patterns ingrained in JM that he would have difficulty overcoming. I am so thankful that I hung in there after the broken NC.

I'm sure there are a million other little things but those are my big 4.

I stay at SI because I firmly believe JM and I would not be together today if I hadn't been sent here by a friend. I can never repay the people who were here and helped me, but I keep the cycle going. MangledHeart, thank you so much for taking the chance on DS and for the work that you two put into SI. She remains so dear to my heart. I sure hope I get to meet her in heaven and give her a thousand years worth of hugs.

W2BHA, this is for you. It's a novel, so it may push the Positive Stories thread to a new page all by itself.

Me, 56
Him, 48 (JMSSC)
Married 26 years. Reconciled.

posts: 4962   ·   registered: Sep. 12th, 2011   ·   location: South Carolina
id 8769497

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 8:30 PM on Wednesday, December 14th, 2022

Big applause!

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6160   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8769501

Luna10 ( member #60888) posted at 9:16 PM on Wednesday, December 14th, 2022

Happy Anniversary! The work you’ve both put in is inspiring. Congratulations!

Dday - 27th September 2017

posts: 1856   ·   registered: Oct. 2nd, 2017   ·   location: UK
id 8769505

Oldwounds ( member #54486) posted at 11:57 PM on Wednesday, December 14th, 2022

That’s an awesome update.

Happy Anniversary!

Married 36+ years, together 41+ years
Two awesome adult sons.
Dday 6/16 4-year LTA Survived.
M Restored
"It is better to conquer our grief than to deceive it." — Seneca

posts: 4750   ·   registered: Aug. 4th, 2016   ·   location: Home.
id 8769526

fareast ( Moderator #61555) posted at 2:04 AM on Thursday, December 15th, 2022

Excellent update! Happy Anniversary!

Never bother with things in your rearview mirror. Your best days are on the road in front of you.

id 8769536

Want2BHappyAgain ( member #45088) posted at 2:17 PM on Thursday, December 15th, 2022

So INSPIRING grin !!! THANK YOU for sharing your journey with us...and bringing me closer to getting my Christmas present this year!!!

A "perfect marriage" is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.

With God ALL things are possible (Matthew 19:26)

I AM happy again...It CAN happen!!!

From respect comes great love...sassylee

posts: 6668   ·   registered: Oct. 2nd, 2014   ·   location: Southeastern United States
id 8769574

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 5:52 PM on Thursday, December 15th, 2022

Happy Anniversary to you both!!!!
I hope you have many more years of peace, strength, and happiness.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20254   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8769598

somanyyears ( member #26970) posted at 6:28 PM on Thursday, December 15th, 2022

.. smile smile

lf and I just passed 50 years back in June.. lf says Hi and "Merry Christmas"

smy... Peace to you and yours.

trust no other human- love only your pets. Reconciled I think!Me 77 Her 73 Married 52 yrs. 18 yr LTA with bff/lawyer. Little fucker died at 57.Brain tumour!

posts: 6045   ·   registered: Dec. 29th, 2009   ·   location: Ontario Canada
id 8769601

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 5:12 PM on Friday, December 16th, 2022

Happy anniversary!

You've overcome a lot. I'm sure that sharing your story has positive impact on innumerable people.

I believe W2BHA might want you to copy this to the 'positive R stories' thread.... I do, even if she doesn't. smile

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30271   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8769816

Want2BHappyAgain ( member #45088) posted at 7:09 PM on Friday, December 16th, 2022

I believe W2BHA might want you to copy this to the 'positive R stories' thread.... I do, even if she doesn't.

You are right sisoon...I did smile . HFSSC already took care of it...and I read this story in THAT thread before I read it on here laugh . I always look at that thread first...I LOVE to read the stories in that thread...just in case anyone doesn't know yet grin !!

A "perfect marriage" is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.

With God ALL things are possible (Matthew 19:26)

I AM happy again...It CAN happen!!!

From respect comes great love...sassylee

posts: 6668   ·   registered: Oct. 2nd, 2014   ·   location: Southeastern United States
id 8769840

Ladybugmaam ( member #69881) posted at 8:25 PM on Friday, December 16th, 2022

When I'm in a really bad place......I think...."I just don't know any couples who have survived this and thrived". I don't want to survive it. It has to be SO much better long-term for me to stay. And the sickening stat online that only 17% of marriages survive it past 5 years.

Now I know a couple.

Thank you so much for sharing.

EA DD 11/2018
PA DD 2/25/19
One teen son
I am a phoenix.

id 8769853

HFSSC (original poster member #33338) posted at 12:29 AM on Saturday, December 17th, 2022

I just love all of you.

Thank you for the congratulations and well wishes, and for the sweet words.

SMY, please tell LF hi and Merry Christmas from me as well.

Ladybugmaam, especially. Thank you for your reply. You are the reason I stay.

Me, 56
Him, 48 (JMSSC)
Married 26 years. Reconciled.

posts: 4962   ·   registered: Sep. 12th, 2011   ·   location: South Carolina
id 8769876

Tanner ( Guide #72235) posted at 2:24 AM on Saturday, December 17th, 2022

Thank you for sharing, I love the positive stories.

Dday Sept 7 2019 doing well in R BH M 32 years

posts: 3557   ·   registered: Dec. 5th, 2019   ·   location: Texas DFW
id 8769882

WalkinOnEggshelz ( Administrator #29447) posted at 12:49 PM on Saturday, December 17th, 2022

I stay at SI because I firmly believe JM and I would not be together today if I hadn't been sent here by a friend. I can never repay the people who were here and helped me, but I keep the cycle going.

Same!

We come from a similar timeline and our story is also pretty ugly. Our own MC didn’t think we would make it. Yet here we are, thriving and quite happy.

Congrats on your anniversary and thank you for sticking around. Veterans are an essential pillar of support here. grin

If you keep asking people to give you the benefit of the doubt, they will eventually start to doubt your benefit.

posts: 16686   ·   registered: Aug. 27th, 2010   ·   location: Anywhere and everywhere
id 8769910
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20241001a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy